Thursday 29 July 2010

A disaster but if could have been much worse

4.30 am on Wednesday morning. We were up and ready for the off with plenty of bait ready, this was going to be a serious session. We drove down to the Motel and picked up the boat. The forecast was for the winds to increase during the morning so I decided to launch the boat at Dickinsons as it was sheltered and closer to the area we intended to fish......what a mistake this turned out to be. We left the Motel and turned into the parkway.....as I drove along I kept glancing through the mirror to check all was ok when suddenly to my horror the boat had somehow come off the ball and was rearing up behind the car. Now in hindsight I realise that I should have coasted to a stop but in the heat of the moment rationale doesn't kick in and I braked. Yes I stopped but the boat didn't and smashed into the tailgate of the car, we jumped out to be met by carnage, half the tailgate was pushed in and there was a puncture through the skin of the lid made by the initial impact, unfortunately the connector for the electrics had not come apart and that had helped to keep the boat in tow behind the car. Gutted to say the least, we re coupled to boat and went back home via the Motel. 4hrs later and after a couple of estimates, it was apparent that a new tailgate was required at a cost of $1500......... deep joy.
Hours later when you think about the events that unfolded, it starts to sink in that actually things could have been a lot worse......no-one was hurt but what if the boat had come off and hit an on-coming car or a pedestrian, what if we had been on the main road, the list is endless. What I really wish is that the wind had have been calm and then we would have launched from the marina, but it wasn't and we didn't so I must take the consequences. Lessons have been learned though and measures will be in place to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Anway I'm off to bed now as it's golf tomorrow.............bugger the fishing for tomorrow anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Blimey Dave, all a bit freaky mate.
    I remember a mates Dad had the same happen with a caravan, except it overtook him ! Don’t bare thinking about too deeply, as you say !
    Well I know a panel beater, unfortunately he only fishes for thoroughbred fish, and no Barbs over there !
    Take care chaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I spoke to Ian, sends his fond regards mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Dick, there are some fish here that are very much like barbel, I hope to have a go for them with the barbel rods whilst I am here.

    ReplyDelete