Sunday 20 June 2010

A proud day

Yesterday my youngest son Joe who is 15, told me that his mum was going to drop him off on the River Calder on Sunday so he could have a couple of hours fishing. I have been unable to do anything for a week as I have been laid out (literally) with a bad back, so I was quite pleased with his enthusiasm. I did think however that he may be wasting his time but never mind I thought at least he is showing willing. So off he went this morning and I awaited a call. About 10am he rang me and I asked how things were going...........I'm getting knocks on the pellet he says and I've been in the next swim down watching the chub taking pellets. Great I thought well at least it's not totally hopeless, 11am............Hey dad I've caught, great I replied what was it??, a 3.l/2lb chub followed next cast by a common carp of about 7lbs. Bloody hell I thought, keep the bait going in I said and well done. He wasn't finished there though, he ended up with another 2 (Brown Trout), lost one to a broken hooklink tied by yours truly and then just to really finish of the session caught a BARBEL which he estimated at around 5lbs. He packed up at 12 which meant that in 3 hours he had 1 Chub, 2 Brown Trout and a Barbel and had his licence checked by the Police. So the lad did good despite his dads doubts............but then again what does he know.

4 comments:

  1. Well done young Joe........ Dont need the old man now, he ties a dodgy knot anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right Tony, you wouldn't believe how many monsters I have lost over the years..he he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, the Calder is rather better than people think. I always catch plenty of chub although the barbel are more tricky. A 5lb'er is a good fish for the Calder so well done Joe.

    Expect a phone call from Hobby Dave :)

    Conrad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Conrad

    Yes already to spoke to him, hope you are keeping well

    ReplyDelete